Thursday 13 September 2012

My Malachite

When I started making jewelry as a hobby, my mother had given me her broken green gemstone necklace for me to use in my creations. She had told me to take good care of them, since they were valuable. I never realized the true value of this gemstone until my recent visit to Saint-Petersburg, Russia. 

Malachite is an opaque green mineral derived from copper (from where the color green).  The origin of the name is due to its resemblance to the banded leaves of the Mallow plant. 



A Marllow plant
Malachite Gemstone






When I visited the Hermitage, I was astonished to see the large quantities of malachite used to decorate this beautiful winter palace. An outstanding display of this vibrant green gemstone can be found in the Malachite Room, from decorative vases, artifacts, fire place and columns.


The Malachite room in the Hermitage Museum, Saint-Petersburg Russia

A neoclassical vase made of malachite at the Hermitage


Artifacts made of malachite in the Hermitage Museum, Saint-Petersburg


While driving the other day, I noticed a garage sale. What quickly caught my eye was this chess set made of a familiar green stone. I asked the owner about the history and nature of this beautiful piece. He explained to me that in 1970, a group of men from Zaire came to Canada to learn about the Canadian railway management. As a gift, they offered him this chess set made of malachite.



My chess set made of malachite and white marble


I knew about the important malachite deposits in the Russian mountains of Ural, but I was surprised to learn that malachite is also found in Africa. I now have my own malachite artifact. Not as impressive as the ones found in the Hermitage, but something that will remind me about my beautiful voyage to Saint-Petersburg. 


All I need to learn is how to play chess.


Yours truly,
Olga Markiza


No comments:

Post a Comment