Wednesday 19 September 2012

Michel Legrand, 80, is just getting started!



For those who’ve seen the 1964 French musical film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, will surely recognize it’s famous theme song. Not to forget The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), which features the hit song "The Windmills of Your Mind" and Summer of '42 (1971).

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, 1964



A scene from the musical The Umbrellas of Cherbourg



The man behind these musical soundtracks is Michel Legrand. Known as a composer of innovative music for films, his popularity quickly reached the United States, where he collaborated with  Hollywood for many years.



Over his lifetime, Michel Legrand has made over a hundred albums, composed for more then two hundred film and television scores as well as several musicals. He has won three Oscars and five Grammys. Legrand has contributed not only in the film industry, but also in jazz. He has worked with such diverse musicians as Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Neil Diamond, Charles Aznavour, Frank Sinatra to name a few. 

Yesterday evening, as part of his world tour celebrating his 80th anniversary, I had the pleasure of seeing Michel Legrand at the Maison Symphonique de Montreal. Musical composer, arranger, conductor and jazz pianist, Legrand delivered an uninterrupted and energetic two hour concert of his greatest hits. 

At 80, Michel Legrand insists he’s just beginning his career. In an interview by Jeff Heinrich of The Gazette, Legrand mentioned: “I’m not at the end of my career – I feel like I’m just beginning. I’ll keep going until I’m dead – and I hope that’ll be as late as possible, because I want so much to accomplish, more than I already have”. 

“As long as you have things to do, death can wait.”


In the early years

Michel Legrand today


The legendary Michel Legrand is indeed LE grand. 


Yours truly,
Olga Markiza

No comments:

Post a Comment